IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) is a combination of best practices in IT that emerged and found its way to the current IT industry. In IT service management, ITIL remains unchallenged as one of the most organized approaches. ITIL has caught the eye of start-ups and larger organizations and continues to be one of the most popularly used sets of practices in the field of IT. If you wish to build your career in ITIL and want to become an ITIL professional, you can get ITIL training that will help you kickstart in the field.
The best way to build a career in ITIL is to get the ITIL training and complete the certification. Now the question that arises is – do ITIL certification expire? The answer is NO, and the ITIL certification does not expire. So let us dive into understanding ITIL, its certifications, and levels.
ITIL is nothing but a collection of elite practices to deliver IT services. Initially, it was a compilation of the IT best practices acquired from various sources, and now it has been streamlined to meet the needs of the current time demands of the industry. Never misunderstand ITIL to be a solid roll call of tasks that would derail an organization’s working process when not followed. Rather, it is a set of instructions or suggestions that can improve the quality of the end solution produced.
Companies have the liberty to choose and evaluate the ITIL practices and pick those that suit their organization’s needs and goals. ITIL framework is used by many popular organizations such as Sony, Microsoft, Disney, Walmart, Fujitsu, Toyota, etc.
Levels in ITIL Certification
Everything you need to know about ITIL Version3:
- ITIL Foundation Certification: This certification is for IT practitioners who need an overview and a basic understanding of the ITIL practices, their application, and how they can better serve IT service management. One can get ITIL training and learn the essential elements and concepts of the ITIL framework that can help in enhancing the quality of their function.
- ITIL Practitioner Certification: This certification follows a practical approach for learning the ITIL frameworks. It helps to learn implementing the best ITIL practices to make an impactful contribution to the company’s goals. The key areas of this course are:
- Continual Service Improvement
- Organizational Change Management
- Measurement and Metrics
- ITIL Intermediate Certification: This certification is for professionals in IT who wish to grow further and choose different ITIL paths. The level is divided into 2 module paths: Service Lifecycle Modules and Service Capability Modules. An IT professional can choose either of these modules according to their career path.
- ITIL Expert Certification: This certification is for IT professionals who wish to demonstrate a complete knowledge of this framework. To qualify for this certification, the candidate must have a minimum of 17 credits from ITIL Intermediate and foundation certifications and must have an ITIL foundation certification.
- ITIL Master Certification: This certification is for IT professionals who wish to implement ITIL principles and practices in the business environment. To qualify for this certification, the candidate must have an ITIL Expert Certification and experience working in an ITSM leadership role for at least five years.
Everything you need to know about ITIL V4:
- ITIL 4 Foundation: It is a revised version of the ITIL V3 foundation course. It covers Agile, Lean, DevOps concepts and the basic ITIL concepts, and seven guiding principles. Another key area addressed in this course is the co-creation of value using customer-focused products.
- ITIL 4 Managing Professional: This certification can be acquired by ITIL practitioners with an ITIL Expert certification. Getting ITIL training can help you in learning the modules better. The modules in this certification are:
- ITIL 4 Specialist: Drive Stakeholder Value
- ITIL 4 Specialist: Create, Deliver, and Support
- ITIL 4 Strategist: Direct, Plan and Improve
- ITIL 4 Specialist: High-Velocity IT
- ITIL 4 Strategic Leader
- ITIL 4 Master: You are eligible for this on acquiring both ITIL Management Professional Certifications and ITIL 4 Strategic Leader. For achieving this certification, you must explain your ability to apply the principles, methods, and techniques of ITIL.
How does ITIL Training and Certification help in building the career?
As we know, the answer to “Do ITIL certification expire?” is a big NO; let us now understand other benefits of ITIL certifications. ITIL certification was designed for IT professionals to gain intense knowledge of IT infrastructure, processes, and the role of IT in adding value to the business.
Benefits of ITIL certification:
- Job Opportunities: Many companies are dependent on ITIL methodologies for delivering IT services. Hence it increases the demand for ITIL-certified individuals.
- Value to the organization: Since an ITIL-certified individual knows how to implement the right practices to keep up with tough competition and innovation in the industry, they add significant value to the organization.
- Better Pay Scale: Like many organizations are adopting the ITIL framework, the demand for ITIL-certified professionals is growing. With an ITIL certification, you won’t just have increased opportunities, but you will also observe a salary hike.
- Holistic View: ITIL certification will help you in seeing a bigger picture of business functions and processes. This enables you to extend your boundaries and look beyond the job role and think with the organizational perspective.
- Increased competency: With ITIL certification, you will be working on the best practices of IT service management. You will learn the skills that will help you deliver high-quality solutions.
- You will meet global standards: You will meet the ITSM international standards and will be capable of using the framework to respond to the outages in infrastructure and services.
ITIL certification is a combination of instructions and suggestions spread across the ITIL framework’s significant areas. To build a career in ITIL, you need to get a formal education and ITIL training to get certified and kick start your career.